Fried egg tacos ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

27 February 2013

Fried egg tacos


So my new camera has a learning curve. That's ok. I'll just have to play with it and see what happens.

In the meantime, have some tacos.

This was my breakfast this past Saturday morning, when I needed lots of protein to smack into my bloodstream as immediately as possible. It's a good thing eggs take less than 5 minutes from start to finish.

Fried egg tacos

corn tortillas
butter
eggs
optional cilantro or green onion
hot sauce of your choice
salt & pepper

Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Have the lid handy.

While you're waiting for your pan to heat, use a pair of tongs to sear your tortillas for about 30 seconds on either side, working directly over a second gas jet. This obviously assumes you have a gas stove. If you don't, just use the frying pan. You want your tortillas to be flexible and fragrant with a bit of char from the flame.

Put your warm tortillas on a plate and cover them with a clean tea towel to keep warm.

Melt a pat of butter in your hot pan. Crack in your eggs, one at a time. Give them maybe 30 seconds to begin to set up in the hot butter. Then carefully pour a trickle of water into your pan and slap on the lid. I just use the teapot for this.

Let cook for 1-2 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally. The water will steam the top of the egg, eliminating any uncooked white around the perimeter of the yolk. When the egg is done, the yolk should be just veiled and the white around its edge should be just solid to the tip of the spatula.

Top each tortilla with an egg, a bit of chopped cilantro or green onion (mine is under the eggs), some hot sauce, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

I like to break the yolks with a fork before I eat these tacos. This makes them easier to eat and lets you get some yolky goodness in every bite.

Have coffee. Feel better.

What do you eat for an instant protein infusion?


10 comments:

Michelle said...

I love charred tortillas. So good.

Instant protein these days has been a whole milk cappuccino. You can tell what kinds of days those have been. Otherwise I have been scrambling some eggs into some TJ's grain and veggie medley for lunch. Easy peasy.

Monet said...

Breakfast or egg tacos are some of my favorites. I could eat them in the morning, at noon or at night. These look perfect, my friend!

Caz said...

I really need to up my protein so these tacos look perfect. I am rubbish at fried eggs, mine never look that impressive!

Hope you get to grips with the camera. I found the lumix manual the most unhelpful manual I've ever come across. I'm sure you are a more patient manual reader than me. :)

kristina said...

I recently got a new camera too, it's been a lot of fun (although a steep learning curve). It makes me feel all food paparazzi though :)

Definitely I'll try this with charred tortillas; I suspect that's where I've been going wrong all these years.

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog said...

You always come up with such creative ideas! These look super delicious, quick and easy.

Joel said...

These look great! Confession: We've had the same model of camera for more than 5 years (2 different models). Sadly, I just learned how to change the FStop on it... It's like discovering a whole new camera. :) So, from experience; love that learning curve (I hoped it would just go away and learned the hard way :))...

Really do love the idea of egg tacos too. :)

Smiles,

Joel

Joanne said...

I could pretty much eat fried eggs every do so these tacos are totally making my belly grumble!

Hannah Cordes said...

This is exactly the kind of breakfast we love!! Looks very tempting.

Sonai said...

I love this. Fried egg tacos, with a slice of crispy bacon, on a charred tortilla is one of the world's easiest and greatest breakfasts! I can taste your gorgeous runny yolks on the tortilla!

Marissa | Pinch and Swirl said...

Instant protein - nuts usually. These charred tortilla tacos look perfect.