Breakfast burritos with quinoa and red pepper scramble ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

24 February 2014

Breakfast burritos with quinoa and red pepper scramble


Why are leftover grains the best? Because if you mix them with eggs and veg, you can make a huge healthy meal of breakfast burritos in under ten minutes. As I remain exhausted and in need of nearly instant sustenance, these were more than welcome; they were necessary.

On this particular occasion, I had a mixture of multicolored quinoa and brown rice hanging out in the refrigerator. Clearly they needed to get into a pan with some egg (and from there into my mouth) as soon as possible.


Breakfast burritos with quinoa and red pepper scramble

butter
onion
red pepper
leftover quinoa or cooked grain of your choice
eggs
salt, pepper
fresh cilantro (or green onion)
flour tortillas
hot sauce/etc to serve

Melt a little butter over medium heat in the frying pan of your choice. Add a handful of chopped onion and cook for about three minutes, or until beginning to soften.

Chop up your red pepper and any other vegetable you might want in your scramble. This really depends on what you have hanging around in the crisper and think would be good in a breakfast burrito. Pretty much anything goes.

Add your vegetables and a little salt to your onions. Cook for another two or three minutes before adding a couple handfuls of cooked grain. Stir everything together and continue to cook for another few minutes, or until your vegetables are tender and your grains hot through.

Now it's time for eggs. I like to add mine right to the pan, so I don't have to wash another dish (crucial when cooking tired), but you can always beat them in a separate bowl before adding if you prefer. In any case, turn the heat down to low and add your eggs. Season with salt and pepper and a handful of torn cilantro or green onion. Then quickly mix everything together with a spatula, stirring well to scramble.


Cook, stirring from time to time, until your eggs are just about done to your liking. Toss a couple of flour tortillas over your pan to quickly steam for the last minute or so of cooking. Again, you can warm them separately if you like, but I like the convenience of this method.

Fill your warm tortillas with your scramble and garnish with the herbs and hot sauce of your choice. Roll them up and eat them immediately, while they're nice and hot. Don't you feel better?

What's your favorite filling for a breakfast burrito?


5 comments:

foodfeud said...

I love cooked bell pepper - it's perfect in scrambles, burritos, or stir fries. I don't usually have any, though but that's gotta change. Way to amp up the protein with egg and quinoa.

Michelle said...

I don't even have time to make myself food anymore. I feel you on being tired and busy. These look so good. I wish my local taco shop would put quinoa in their breakfast burritos. They would be excellent. I've been on a machaca kick lately when I get one. This place throws in green chilies and I have them add guacamole. De-licious.

Joanne said...

I do so love having leftovers! So often I turn them into tacos or burritos. These look especially delicious!

Eileen said...

It has totally been zero time week, and it's not letting up since I have a work conference to go to this weekend. But! I will eat burritos and survive! Even if I end up just buying one while I'm waiting for Caltrain to take me home on Saturday night...

Kate said...

Oh, I love leftover cooked whole grains, too! Never thought to turn them into a scramble like this, though. Brilliant!