$1.85 at the farmer's market ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

15 March 2015

$1.85 at the farmer's market

$1.85 at the farmer's market

If you're careful, $1.85 at our farmer's market can get you this. Three zucchini, six pea pods, one tiny carrot, and an armful of assorted peppers from the $.65/lb sort-outs bin: $1.20. A small bag of broccolini, no price sign to be found: $.65.

What will I do with all of these?

Most of the peppers will get washed, trimmed judiciously (there's a reason they were in the sort-outs bin), and put into a quick brine to pickle. The few in good enough shape to keep for a few days will go into all kinds of things: quesadillas, salads, scrambled eggs, tomato sauce.

The zucchini will probably get sauteed with olive oil and garlic and thrown over some pasta, maybe with a handful of toasted breadcrumbs on top.

I could eat the peas raw with some hummus, slice them at an angle and throw them into a green salad, or cook them with the zucchini for pasta purposes.

The broccolini will likely get a simple saute, either with butter and garlic or a good squirt of sriracha sauce and some chopped almonds. To be eaten next to a piece of fish or some spicy seared tofu.

The carrot will get eaten one way or another.

What kind of vegetables are popping up at your farmer's market this spring?

5 comments:

foodfeud said...

Ooh, I'm never capable of being careful at the farmer's market - I just throw my money everywhere at any beautiful little vegetable, but good job!!
It's actually been far too long since I've taken a deliberate walk through of the market, so this is a good reminder.

janet @ the taste space said...

Score!! Totally jealous. Since I am back in Toronto, the prices at the farmer's markets are not nearly as awesome. I have to scope out the Asian markets... of course, only after local produce appears. We still have snow right now! Hope all is well

Joanne said...

WHAATTT?! That is awesome. I can never seem to leave the farmer's market without spending at least $30!

Jes said...

I'm pretty sure you did some Jesus-fishes-and-loaves type thing in order to get that much for so little!

Marissa | Pinch and Swirl said...

Well done! That's quite a haul for under $2.

We have a 30 week CSA that starts in June and for about $20 I am blown away at the beautiful, ripe produce we get. When I actually GO to the farmer's market, I spend a fortune and then come home, evaluate the space in the refrigerator and think, "How many people do I think live here?"