Ravioli with caramelized mushroom and red onion ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

22 June 2011

Ravioli with caramelized mushroom and red onion

It's kind of difficult to even look at some of the last pictures from the old apartment, but then I suppose that's what happens when you suddenly put yourself in a different living environment: your brain is so caught up with adjusting to the new situation that it forcibly shoves the prior one out of your head.

Did I really eat this? Yes. Was it delicious? Yes. Ok then.

So. I had acquired an exciting new type of frozen ravioli, stuffed with farmer's cheese and dill. Clearly, any ravioli containing dill will not work with a traditional marinara sauce. They didn't want alfredo; they didn't want pesto. Instead, after scrounging through the bits and pieces left in our old kitchen, I decided to treat them like pierogies.

While my pasta water was coming to a boil, I slowly melted a bunch of thinly sliced red onion in a mixture of olive oil and butter. I'm pretty sure I just used red onion by itself, but a mix with chopped shallots would definitely be good.

When the onion was largely softened and definitely fragrant, I added a couple big handfuls of sliced mushrooms. After some salt and pepper, I left the business to caramelize over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.

Hooray! A big mess of mushrooms and onions!

I think I may have deglazed the pan with dry vermouth just at the end of cooking, but I can't remember. If you want to try it, go nuts.

When my ravioli were done, I drained them, served them, covered them with plenty of caramelized veg, and garnished everything with fresh chopped parsley.

I imagine that if you really wanted to treat these ravioli like pierogies, you could add a spoonful of sour cream, and maybe swap the parsley out for fresh chopped dill, but they already featured quite enough dairy for me.

Yay ravioli! I ate them all.

2 comments:

Jes said...

Ravioli perogies are the best. I'm picturing some cabbage in that mix too. Mmm!

Eileen said...

Yes, if we'd had any cabbage lying around, it would definitely have gone in the pan. Or maybe done separately, with caraway seeds...