Who's on first? Yogurt is! ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

28 June 2011

Who's on first? Yogurt is!

Look what I got at the farmer's market: a pint of sheep's milk yogurt from Garden Variety Cheese. Apparently, this stuff is only out for a very limited time each year, so if you live in the SFBay, now is your chance. It is super thick and tangy and awesome in every way. Yay!

I went straight home and started cooking. First, I marinated a butterfish filet (also from the farmer's market) in a mix of yogurt, lemon zest, garam masala, turmeric, jalapeño, mint, and ginger. Nigel Slater uses this on chicken, but it clearly works well for fish. Next time I think I need to try it on some lamb, because yogurt + lamb = SO good.

Anyway. I left the fish in the marinade for about 45 minutes, and then seared it over high heat for about three minutes per side. Look at the flake! Awesome.

What else was at the farmer's market? Cherries. Lots of cherries. For a good chunk of the week it was too hot to cook--or even to want to eat much. So what could I eat for breakfast? Clearly, pitted cherries with yogurt were the answer. This stuff is so superior to commercial fruit-on-the-bottom, it's not even funny.

Later, wanting actual lunch even though the outside continued scorching, I quickly boiled some penne and sautéed garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, and finely shredded peppers in olive oil. Maybe there was some basil in there too. I don't remember.

In my bowl: raw arugula, pasta and veg, a big spoonful or two of yogurt, parsley, and lots of black pepper. The yogurt melted just a little in the ambient heat, so it coated everything else easily: awesome. I have to say that nothing tames overly pungent arugula like dairy.

Mmm, yogurt! What else could a woman possibly need? (video)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Everything in this post looks like the greatest thing ever. This is not even an exaggeration.

Jes said...

Yogurt & cherries sounds absolutely amazing. And that fish looks rockin' too!

MxH said...

Those cherries look so beautiful.

I have been avoiding most sugar and sweet foods.

Cliff and I had fancy sushi recently, and they used cherries with some dishes. It was very good.

Eileen said...

Yay; thank you!

YOGURT POWER.

I am super intrigued by the idea of sushi with cherries. What did they put them in? HMM.