It's September, and you know what that means: fig season.
I like to eat fresh figs raw, but that doesn't mean I always want them plain. Instead, I eat them with:
- pungent soft cheeses: chevre, brie (& I hate blue, but you could try it).
- mild white cheeses: mozzarella, cream, farmer's.
- black pepper & lots of it.
- fresh herbs: mint, basil, parsley, etc.
- thick, serious yogurt or labneh.
- honey (ours is meadowfoam).
- whatever other fruit is around: fig & peach salad, anyone?
- various lettuces, spinach, or arugula.
- toasted walnuts or pecans.
Today I cut open a handful of black mission figs, smeared them with labneh, and sprinkled them with chopped mint and black pepper. Best breakfast ever.