Minimal Salade Niçoise for busy days and nights ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

12 October 2012

Minimal Salade Niçoise for busy days and nights

salade nicoise

Things have been crazy for the past couple weeks. All work all the time, even on our birthdays. Especially on our birthdays, actually. I'm finishing my first product for my own company, which--well--it's a little surreal. I don't know how to describe it. And I still have a lot more to do before launch.

I'm exhausted. Here, have a salad.

Minimal Salade Niçoise

butter lettuce
boiling potatoes
eggs
green beans
vinaigrette of your choice

Make as much of each ingredient as you like. I used three potatoes, four medium eggs, and two big handfuls of green beans for two people, and that was a bit too much.

Put a pot of salted water on to boil while you scrub your potatoes and remove eyes. Chop the potatoes into reasonable bite-sized chunks. When your water boils, add the potatoes. Bring the water up to boiling again, reduce to a fast simmer, and let cook until tender. This should take maybe 30 minutes for small chunks of potato. You can do everything else while the potatoes are cooking.

Put your eggs in the pot with the potatoes and let them cook for 9 minutes before you pull them out. Give it a minute or two longer if your eggs are cold from the fridge. Put your finished eggs into an ice water bath and let them chill while the potatoes keep cooking.

Trim your green beans, chop them into bite-sized pieces, and put them in a steamer basket that fits over the potato pot. If you don't have one, that's ok--you can just quickly boil them in a separate pot. Steam or boil until done to your tastes. I put mine on for about four minutes. When done, take them off the heat. You can ice them if you want to, but I left mine hot.

Core your lettuce, wash it, dry it, and chop it into reasonable salad pieces.

When your eggs are cool enough to peel, go ahead and peel them. Chop them into halves or quarters.

When the potatoes are done, drain them well. Let them sit for a minute while you arrange your lettuce on plates. Top the lettuce with potatoes, beans, and eggs.

For vinaigrette, I smashed a clove of garlic and added it to a measuring cup with a splash of white wine vinegar, a big spoonful of seedy dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and some chopped parsley. Then I whisked in olive oil until it all emulsified into dressing. I didn't measure at all, so I have no measurements to give you. Use your favorite vinaigrette recipe, or just go get the Newman's Head out of the fridge.

Pour your vinaigrette over your salad, pick up your fork, and eat it all.

Sleep the sleep of the weary.

What do you make when you're too busy to cook?

11 comments:

Jes said...

Congrats on your first product! I can't imagine how terrifying/exhausting/brain-wacking that is, but, holla, that's rad!

And your salads are always so inspiring. I need to get on keeping boiled eggs handy.

Catherine Weber said...

I eat a lot of bean and cheese quesadillas when I'm crazy-busy. Not super healthy, but fast and delicious!

emmycooks said...

Sounds like the good kind of busy--I can't wait to hear more! When I'm slammed I make frittatas with tons of veggies and eat the leftovers the next day in a sandwich.

Joanne said...

Eggs are my go-to when things get crazy around here. Love this salad!

Hope things calm down a bit soon but it sounds like it's a good thing that they're busy!

adriennefriend said...

I hear ya. Hope things calm down a bit soon. <3

Heather S-G said...

I love salad nicoise, and I would definitely take this pared down version anyday!

Terri said...

One of my favorite salads! When I am busy it is beans and/or eggs.

Caz said...

Sounds like you are busy in a good way! Things like jacket potato are my busy day meals as I can just put it in the oven and forget about it for an hour. Eggs are another easy favourite, the salad looks great.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great busy! What kind of product are you working on? That is awesome - congrats!

Eileen said...

Thanks, everyone! I love how many of us rely on eggs--they're such a staple at our house, it's amazing. Quesadillas definitely happen with startling frequency as well!

My product has nothing whatever to do with food--I'm launching a class to teach people to write their law school personal statements. It's crazy, but fun!

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog said...

Mmm, this looks delicious. A great salad doesn't have to be complicated or expensive!