Red curry broth with tofu, vegetables, and somen noodles ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

20 November 2012

Red curry broth with tofu, vegetables, and somen noodles

Red curry broth with tofu, vegetables, and somen noodles

There haven't been a lot of vegetarian recipes around here lately, largely because twenty different "I had another burrito" and "I put some veg dumplings in broth again" posts would be so thoroughly uninteresting as to be almost unbelievable. However, rest assured: we've certainly been eating them.

For instance, we had a block of soft tofu that I bought for instant miso soup purposes. Then we wanted a more substantial dinner than miso soup. A good rifle through the cupboards produced some coconut milk, curry paste, and somen noodles. Okay! Let's make curry broth!

Needless to say, this is not remotely authentic. It is delicious, however. It's also fast and easy, which is great, because I am somehow STILL NOT QUITE DONE with my release, and therefore have no brain or energy left to deal with much of anything else. Um. Hooray?

Red curry broth with tofu, vegetables, and somen noodles

Red curry broth with tofu, vegetables, and somen noodles

olive, peanut, or neutral oil of your choice
garlic
ginger
carrots
green onion
red cabbage
veg broth
Thai red curry paste
coconut milk
soft tofu
somen noodles
rice wine vinegar or lime juice
cilantro & green onion greens to garnish

Okay! If you don't have any veg broth, put a pot of that on to cook first. It should be ready by the time you want to add it.

Get out a large soup pot and soften a handful of minced garlic cloves, a knob of finely chopped ginger, and the whites of a green onion or two in the oil of your choice. Scrub and chop a carrot; add it once the green onion and garlic have had a few minutes to soften. Cook together, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes.

Shred up some cabbage with a sharp knife. I used about a third of a red cabbage, which gave the overall broth some exciting purple overtones, but green would also be fine.

By this point your veg broth should be done, so strain it and add it to your pot of ginger & garlic. I used about three cups.

Bring the pot to a boil and add your cabbage, coconut milk, and red curry paste. The amount of curry paste is totally up to you & your spice preferences. I used a good three tablespoons. Since I don't go for super-creamy coconut broth, I used a small 6-oz can, but you can use more if you prefer. Stir, let the pot come to a boil again, and reduce the heat a bit to simmer. Give it about five minutes for the cabbage to soften.

Cut your tofu into half-inch squares. I don't think I've ever actually worked with soft tofu before. It was a little awkward, but no big deal.

Add your tofu to the pan, stirring gently to incorporate. Cook until hot through, and then add your somen noodles. These will cook in one minute, literally, so don't add them until you're sure everything else is cooked.

When your noodles are done, take the pan off the heat. Stir in a teaspoon or so of rice wine vinegar or the juice of a lime. Serve in big bowls with a garnish of chopped green onion tops and cilantro.

Feel better.


5 comments:

Jes said...

Your product baby really needs to shoot out of the womb, amirite?

I'm totally all over curry broth with noodles, tofu, and veggies. I need to throw that into the mix with stir-frys for my "crap we need to eat" moments.

Joanne said...

I've been majorly craving thai flavors lately so the next block of tofu I get my hands on is being turned into this delicious soup!

Kat said...

I love curries of all sorts, especially as it gets colder. Lately we've been making Indian curries with tofu - authentic or not it still makes a good dinner on a busy night! The Thai curry broth sounds really good.

Hannah said...

Oh man, forget Thanksgiving- I want THIS for dinner tonight! Sounds like my idea of comfort food for sure. I especially love the variety of veggies you managed to pack into a single bowl.

Sippity Sup said...

Good clean eating for the day after the day after Thanksgiving! GREG