Further dispatches from cookie central ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

04 July 2008

Further dispatches from cookie central

Hey, did you hear it's a holiday? And yet I am at work. Hmm. I guess I can live vicariously through fantasizing about the cookies I made a couple days ago. If only they'd been, say, barbecue sauce cookies. Now THAT would be seasonally appropriate.

It has been sugarshock central at our house lately. I don't know what the deal is. I went to the store and emerged with not only cookie ingredients but also a package of more cookies! Help!

I looked in the Joy of Cooking for cookie recipes. I now suspect that their classic chocolate chip cookies are ONE AND THE SAME as Toll House cookies. Of course, I used ridiculous on sale Guittard milk chocolate chips, futzed with sugar types, and left out the gross nuts, but somehow I think that is an improvement.

Chocolate chip cookies are delicious!

8 tbsp/1 stick soft unsalted butter
1 cup turbinado sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup + 2 tbsp wheat flour (or a rounded cup)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Oven: 375F. Cookie sheets: greased.

Most cookie recipes are basically the same: cream wet ingredients, sift together and add dry ingredients, then add any chunky pieces. So! Put butter and sugar in a deep bowl. Beat (either by hand or with electric mixer) until everything is evenly mixed, soft, and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix some more.

I don't know about you, but I don't sift. I don't add in batches either. So dump your baking soda, salt, and flour into the wet mix. Stir gently, to mix in the flour without causing a huge cloud. Then, when everything is damp, actually beat the dough together. Or you can actually add your dry ingredients in batches! Who can say what is best in this new day and age?

Add the chocolate chips and stir to mix.

Now you can either drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the sheets, or use your hands to roll said dough into balls. I like making a mess, so I used my hands. Bake until just golden brown, about eight to ten minutes. Cool on a rack.

Eat them!

Seriously, I ended up having chocolate chip cookies and a banana for lunch the other day. The sugar has to stop.

No comments: