PLUM CAKE ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

11 November 2011

PLUM CAKE

plum cakeThere were excellent pluots at the farmer's market, so I made a plum yogurt cake. Yay cake!

I've made this type of fruit-ridden cake several times before. The key seems to be pushing the fruit well down into the batter before baking. That way, large quantities of plums and juice are trapped inside the crust, making the finished cake damp and tender.

This current variation required not only yogurt but an additional egg. Even though I switched out the regular flour for whole wheat, the result was still strikingly more rich and fluffy than my cake of last December. I think the flavor is roughly equivalent, however.

plum cakeAnyway, the point is: CAKE. I have cake and I will eat it. Probably I will even split a few slices in half and spread a spoonful of labneh on each. I will almost certainly also have tea.

3 comments:

eatme_delicious said...

Beautiful rustic cake! I love cake and tea together.

Jes said...

Mmm, beautiful cake! I need more excuses to make awesome fruit-tastic cakes.

Eileen said...

I think the best excuse is "I want cake," don't you? However, I bet this would also be good done in individual cupcakes with several slices of plum sunk into each--that way you can spontaneously bring a bunch of them to the office!