Peeling ginger with the spoon trick ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

12 June 2012

Peeling ginger with the spoon trick

peeling fresh ginger with a spoon

It has come to my attention that many of you guys are using vegetable peelers or even knives to peel your fresh ginger.

You don't need anything even vaguely sharp to peel ginger easily. All you need is an ordinary spoon.

First, cut a piece of ginger to the size you need.

peeling fresh ginger with a spoon

Then scrape the side of the spoon's bowl down your piece of ginger root, using a moderate amount of pressure. The skin will come right off.

Keep scraping until you've removed all the skin.

peeling fresh ginger with a spoon

Notice how much easier it is to tackle curves and crevices with the spoon's rounded edge than with a straight peeler. And check out the results--unlike vegetable peelers, which strip off gashes of edible ginger along with the skin, spoons only remove the skin itself.

When you're done peeling, you can use a knife to trim off any dried-out broken edges.

peeling fresh ginger with a spoon

Voila--perfectly peeled ginger!

Now make your ginger cake or delicious curry in good health and good conscience.



7 comments:

Kat said...

I've actually been using a peeler on ginger - the poor thing. I remember you referring to the spoon trick earlier, so thanks so much for demonstrating how to do it, it sure saves a lot of the ginger!

Anna @ the shady pine said...

That's a nifty little tip....thanks for sharing it!

Jes said...

I don't know what I would have done without knowing this trick, whoever taught me it needs an award--thanks for posting it for the world to know!

nancy at good food matters said...

why didn't I think of that? a very good trick that I'll try very soon, when I make some plum chutney. So many plums!---thanks for visiting my blog. Nancy

Eileen said...

Glad you guys like this trick! I don't even remember where I first heard about it, but I'm pretty sure it was from someone in the vegetarian/vegan blogosphere. Thanks, whoever invented this!

carey said...

No way! I can't wait to try this. No more scary knife peeling and wasted ginger bits!

Hena Tayeb said...

A spoon?! Learning something new every day