Fried rice for a nonexistent kitchen ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

25 October 2008

Fried rice for a nonexistent kitchen

You guys, I'm sorry. I haven't been cooking anything. We are now in our second bout of corporate housing, with our second woefully underequipped kitchen. Tomorrow the movers are Finally supposed to bring our things, so we can Finally start doing things like "rebuying an entire spice cabinet". I need to look for a place to get bulk spices in NYC, yes I do.

In the meantime we've been eating takeout pizza. We've been eating free food from John's work. We've been eating a whole lot of Sabra hummus, the best kind of storebought hummus on the planet, and carrots and pita.

Also, my camera batteries are dead.

The last thing I cooked was a couple days ago. I had a pot of brown rice to go through, and some chard starting to wilt in the crisper, and two eggs and butter. So I made myself a bowl of fried rice for lunch. It was actually really good, but as mentioned, no camera. It was one of the first things I made in several days that actually was good. Of course this meant that I spilled a good chunk of it on the floor before I could eat any of it, but I had the rest, and that was good.

Emergency spiceless fried rice

cooked brown rice
eggs
chard/other wiltable greens
butter
water
salt

First chop a big handful of chard leaves into little pieces. Use as much as you want to eat. I recommend lots of chard since it is delicious, full of iron, and liable to shrink in the pan like spinach. If you want to use the stems, chop them into little pieces too, and cook them before you add the leaves. I just used the greens.

Stick the chard in a frying pan with a couple big splashes of water. Put the lid on, turn the heat to medium-low, and steam that chard. This should take two or three minutes for leaves, and maybe five for stems.

When the chard is pretty wilty, add your rice and a chunk of butter and stir. I used a couple big spoonfuls of rice; you can do as much or as little as you want. Cook for a few minutes, until the rice is hot.

Crack your eggs into a bowl, whisk them, and pour them into the pan. I used my two eggs for me. Cook until the egg is set, stirring throughout. This should take another three minutes or so.

When everything is cooked, add a sprinkle of salt, then eat.

Be happy that you are eating real food containing iron instead of a warmed up slice of pizza with canned mushrooms on it.

No comments: