Thanksgiving in pictures ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

02 December 2013

Thanksgiving in pictures

Hand turkeys for Thanksgiving 2013

Everyone needs some arts and crafts to start off the holiday right. We ate a lot of Paper Doll Parade's maple rosemary roasted nuts while searching through every shade of brown, orange, yellow, and red the Crayola 64 assortment had to offer.

Thanksgiving 2013 roasted chicken

This was the first Thanksgiving at which I've had meat since 2006. I made some salami tidbits (which, true to form, everyone stood around the stove and ate as soon as possible) and Veronica and Simon, who were so kind as to host, brined and roasted a chicken.

Thanksgiving 2013 roasted chicken, vegetables, etc.

The full dinner menu: the aforementioned chicken, roasted potatoes and carrots, mashed sweet potatoes mirepoix, salad, and lots of gravy. I also made apple dumplings for dessert. Needless to say, everyone was VERY FULL.

Thanksgiving 2013

Here's my plate before liberal application of gravy. SO MUCH GRAVY. That was by far the best part of having meat for Thanksgiving. I can totally cook and eat a gigantic vegan celebratory meal with no problem except for the lack of good gravy.

Thanksgiving 2013 leftovers

SO MANY LEFTOVERS. The chicken carcass got tossed immediately into a stockpot for stock. (I also made stock a couple days later from the few bones and skin and etc that came home with me.)

Thanksgiving leftovers bagel with chicken, sweet potato, cream cheese, and greens

Of course you know what leftovers mean. They mean that the next morning you can cut open a bagel, toast it nicely, and layer on all the sweet potato, chicken, and salad greens in the land. Some cream cheese made an appearance as well. So did a big cup of hot black tea with the season's first big whack of eggnog.

Thanksgiving leftovers bagel with chicken, sweet potato, cream cheese, and greens

Definitely the perfect ending to a celebratory weekend.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

4 comments:

foodfeud said...

I think leftovers are always the best part. And that bagel looks damn fantastic.
The nuts sound great too.

Michelle said...

I have such a soft spot for Crayola's 64-pack. I always keep a set around, as well as a coloring book.

I love your bagel sandwich! I already downed my leftovers, but was eyeing bagels lovingly today with the thought of mixing cream cheese with the leftover cranberry...

Joanne said...

I think I need to insist that my family start off T-Day next year with some artwork! That's awesome.

Eileen said...

I love how everyone's favorites are crayons and bagels. I think those were my favorite things too! The was only the first of four leftover-based bagels, incidentally. NOM.