What we ate when John got back from Seattle ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

02 February 2010

What we ate when John got back from Seattle

CHOCOLATE.

We also had red wine.

You may have noticed that there is not a whole lot of product placement here, but I'm going to make an exception, because these Theo chocolates were way too good.

I'm not going to make a lot of tasting notes. Let me just say this: those chocolate-covered caramels contain both chiles and red sea salt, and the bar below is filled with toasted buttered baguette crumbs. You heard me.

Also, their blog says they're having a pre-valentine's event with, among other people, Babeland. Yes! You know you support that endeavor.

In the meantime, we still have half the bar and one caramel hiding in the cupboard. We'll see how long it takes before they mysteriously vanish.

3 comments:

MxH said...

Hi! So we have one of those farm boxes. We've got carrots, greens, radishes, eggs. My housemate, she made carrot sweet potato with cinnamon and lemon. It rocked. Not sure what to do with the radishes and turnips. Everytime I look at our box I think of you and your devotion to yr farm box. Suggestions?

I also suspect that growing my own will inspire a Nurturing enthusiasm for eating what I've tended.

Eileen said...

Well, one easy thing to do with any root veg is quarter them (or cut smaller if you have HUGE winter stuff), rub them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them like potatoes. Or cut them into long fries and make baked root veg fries. You can season them however you want.

Radishes: slice them thinly and eat them on buttered rye bread with salt: awesome! But that only gets you through one radish at a time. Another thing: make Polish salatka (i.e. "salad") which is very dairy: cottage cheese mixed with some sour cream, finely chopped radish, and pepper, and spread on rye toast. You could add green onion, dill, etc too. Or you can make, like daikon pickle or kimchi with them if you have a huge overload of radish (since daikon is just a big radish anyway). I haven't tried that one but it sounds like a good idea.

Turnips: I tend to cook them with soup veg, like for black bean or potato or cauliflower soup, then puree the whole business into big soup shebang. Turnips are harder since no one has/eats them so it's hard to get ideas.

I also think you should go to the library and find some Deborah Madison because she is all about the interesting uses for all kinds of veg.

Adrienne said...

Theo Ghost Chile chocolates; be still my heart! We went out to Seattle on vacation last spring and took a tour of the Theo factory - then bought a few of these chile chocolates and ate them all before we even got back to the hotel. Amaaaazing.