Another use for lavash ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

18 December 2012

Another use for lavash

Make it into nearly instant pizza!

lavash pizza

Then take terrible pictures of it late at night (read: at about 6:30p) in winter! Hooray!

Using a premade crust for a super-fast homemade pizza is nothing new. For a long time my crust of choice was storebought pita, split in half if said pita was amenable. Then I discovered the joys of using naan for pizza crust. If you haven't made pizza on a piece of naan bread, you know what you have to do the next time you bring some home with Indian takeout leftovers. It's perhaps the perfect chewy crust.

But lavash? That's the perfect thin and crispy crust. If you like thin-crust pizza, you want some of this.

We made two pizzas, both with standard red sauce and mozzarella. John had green pepper and onions; I had both of those plus mushrooms. Of course, you can go any direction you choose. Pesto, pears, hazelnuts, brie--you name it.

Nearly instant lavash pizza

lavash bread
olive oil
sauce of your choice
toppings of your choice
shredded cheese of your choice

Brush a piece of lavash bread with a little bit of olive oil. Spread a thin layer of the sauce of your choice over the top. (Our sauce is generally olive oil, garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flake, and tomato. Voila!) Add whatever you like best on your pizza, top with shredded cheese, and pop the entire thing in the oven. Five to eight minutes at 400F should be more than enough time to get your crust crisp and your cheese bubbly and brown, although it will depend on the amount of toppings.

Pull your finished lavash pizza out of the oven, slice it up, and eat it. Green salad is the obvious addition here. We like to throw big handfuls of arugula on top of your pieces of pizza and eat them all together.

Now gloat over having saved twenty bucks on delivery pizza. (And if delivery pizza doesn't cost twenty bucks where you live, just be happy about that, okay?)

What's your favorite way to make homemade pizza?

4 comments:

Catherine Weber said...

I generally make my own crust, but I really should try a speedier option sometimes. That would mean we'd have pizza a whole lot more often! :)

Caz said...

This looks like a great alternative pizza crust. My favourite pizza crust is to use flatbreads (gluten free ones for me). I love a really thin crust though so these look perfect. :)

Joanne said...

I need to get my hands on some lavash! Definitely loving that it is so thin crusted :)

elizabeth (bubbleteafordinner) said...

Pesto, pears, hazelnuts, brie, on lavash? Eileen, you're killing me, I can't get any of that stuff easily here and it sounds SO GOOD! Inspiration for later, I think. :D