HERBSLAB ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

06 September 2010

HERBSLAB

Our local bakery of preference is called Acme Bread. I for one find this hysterical. So every weekend I go to the farmer's market and stand in their bread line (also hysterical, although for very different and somewhat disconcerting reasons), trying to figure out which kind of bread I should get. Since it's real bread, the time consideration is critical. Which bread will last the longest? Clearly, a bread packed full of damp herbs is a good choice. So last weekend I brought home our first herb slab.

Clearly, herb slab is great completely plain, as the herb content is delicious. (What exactly is the herb content? I'm not sure, but it is delicious nonetheless.) However, for further application, we had to make some sandwiches.

This one is herb slab with labneh, Turkish figs, greens, and pepper, because figs are finally, finally in season, and I cannot stop eating them. I knew this would be good, not only because I love figs, but also because I do some fig/herb/cheese variants every fall. How could it go wrong? It could not.

The next day (slab moisture still intact) we decided to have a kind of abbreviated smörgåsbord for dinner. Butter, mustard, cheddar, mozzarella, olives, spinach, apples, salt, and pepper. Practically any combination of the above turned out beautifully. Mustard, cheddar, and apples worked particularly well, as did plain butter, greens, and salt. If we had been feeling a little less lazy, we might have made some hard boiled eggs to slice and layer on as well.

I was a little miffed that we didn't have radishes to add to the board until I remembered the huge daikon hiding in the crisper.

Herb slab with butter, thinly sliced daikon, salt, and pepper: priceless.

No comments: